CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Love Saturdays y Domingos

I Love Saturdays y Domingos is a wonderful, culturally accurate story about a girl who spends the weekends with her grandparents. She spends Saturdays with her grandma and grandpa and they make her pancakes and she plays with her grandmother's cat. On Sundays, she spends the days with her abuelito and abuelita. They make her huevos rancheros, and she plays on her abuelita's farm with the chickens. I feel that this book shows a close comparison to the two different cultures. Every other page is english or spanish and it is helpful for young readers to see how english and spanish are closely related. I really like the part when the girl's grandpa would talk about how his family came from Europe and her abuelito talked about Mexico. The birthday story also stood out to me because it is important to see how the two different cultures celebrate birthdays. I would have this book in my classroom and I think it would be one of the favorites.

1 comments:

MS. RUSSELL'S BLOG said...

Maddie-
I agree with you, i think this book would be great i the classroom. It def. shows the two different cultures and although they are very different they relate and get along so well.