CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Los Gatos Black on Halloween



Los Gatos Black on Halloween was written by Marisa Montes and the unique illustrations were done by Yuyi Morales. Right from the beginning I liked this book. I knew that english and spanish would both be incorporated into the story and I love the aspect of bringing the two cultures together. The writing is done in a way that the spanish words are closely followed by the english words for children to better understand the spanish terms. There is also a glossary in the back with the meanings. I loved how the book led up to all the "creepy", "crawly" characters in the story who are not usually liked by humans, were ultimately scared of kids trick-or-treating. It is very likely that I will read this aloud to my classroom one day-maybe when they are all heading out the door on Halloween night!

2 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Madeline: I can really appreciate your take on this title, especially the part about the turning of the tables on Halloween: the monsters being afraid of the children. That might make a big difference in whether we decide to read it to a group of younger students: it is all in the set up, and letting them know in advance that there will be a sort of trick (or treat) ending would be the way to accomplish this.

Mallory said...

Hi Maddy! I just wanted to say that I agree with you about this book! I liked all the illustrations and the creativity that comes out of it. I do think that it might scare the little ones just because of some of the pictures, but if read to an older grade it can be such a fun story. Keep up the good blogging! =)