CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Craft Lesson 1


Craft Lesson 1: Self Reliance/Independence

Resource: Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens

Discussion:
I feel that it is very important for children to be themselves and to depend on their own hard work and to give them enough assurance that they feel really good about their work. I want the students in my classroom to be proud of their work and have the self confidence to share their work with myself and other students. I want to ensure that my students are always proud of their work and proud of whom they are, and I want to do a craft lesson in order to show my students that they can rely on themselves and be independent in their work. I will help them understand this concept by reading Tops and Bottoms and leading the class in a discussion. I think that in elementary school, especially around the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade, students start to doubt themselves and their work and they start comparing their work to other students. I really want to make sure that my students feel comfortable in their writing and confident in their reading. In this book, I think that there is a really strong message that we should depend on ourselves and work hard to achieve the goals that we desire. We need to be hard working, confident and independent when it is something that is really important to us.

How to Teach It:
I want to introduce this book to my students before our writing workshops. I want them to have the idea in their heads that it is important to write about what is in their heads. I want them to be independent writers and write about what is on their minds.
Before reading the book, I want to talk with my class about being independent. I will ask them, “What makes you different from your friends or other students in classroom?” I will have them write their response on a paper and then I will have them write about what they think that their best qualities or writing are. Then we will talk about why it is important to use our own thoughts and our own ideas in our writing. I will then have them write about whatever they want to write about using their own ideas before we write about other topics.

3 comments:

MS. RUSSELL'S BLOG said...

Maddie,
I really like your book. It is really fun how the book is turned a different way compared how normal books are. I also like how it shows if your lazy you probably wont get the good end of the deal.. crazy bear! I also like how you are explaining to your students to be independent not to rely on others! Well i hope you had fun doing you craft lesson, because its really cute.

Ofelia Lawrence said...

This book was extremely fun! I thought it was so creative. Each time the the bear chose a different end he came up with a different result. It is true in order to get what you want you have to work hard! Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Madeline,

I thought this was a fun book and a good book you can enjoy wih your future students. Its funny how clever rabbit was and how lazy bea was. It also has a great moral to the story. Great piece of literature@!