CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Craft Lesson 2 : Celebrating important people in our lives.


Resource: Heroes and She-Roes by Patrick J. Lewis
Discussion:
I think that it is important for students to understand important people in our society. This book by Patrick J. Lewis is a collection of poems about people that have changed our culture. He wrote about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and the firefighters on 9/11. The poems are easy for students to read and understand, while still gaining a perspective on how important these people are. This craft lesson is not intended to correct something that my students are lacking, the purpose is to give my students a chance to think about someone in their lives that they think that have made a difference. This person may be someone who has changed history, or save millions of lives, but someone who has made a difference to them. I want this craft lesson to give my students a time to write freely about someone who has made a difference to them.
How to Teach It:
First, I will ask the students about anyone in their lives that they feel has made a difference to them or someone else important to them. This person could be their foster parents, their adopted families, a case worker, or their family. This discussion will lead us into our story. I will share with them a few poems about people that they are familiar with and also, people that they might not know about. For some of the poems, I will read them and have them try to guess who the person is. After sharing poems, I will have the students come up with their own poems or a sample of writing about people or individuals who have made a difference to them. After they have free time to write, I will prompt them to draw a picture that relates to their writing. This could be a portrait, a comic strip, a book, any illustration that they would like that they feel best describes their writing. After I give the students time for all of these activities, we will come together as a group and share who our hero is. I will also be writing and drawing while the students are, to encourage them to keep going with their ideas. I will start our gathering by showing the students who is my hero is and then allow them to share with the class as well.
I would like to demonstrate this craft lesson on September 11th, or before Martin Luther King Day, or Presidents Day to show my students how these will always be days that will be recognized because people stood up and fought for something that was important to them. I want my students to recognize heroes in their lives and know that they can be heroes too.

0 comments: