CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Craft Lesson 3: Using patterns and repetition in our stories


Resource: The Napping House by Audrey Wood
Discussion:
When writing stories in the classroom, it is important to teach students about having patterns and rhythm in our writing so that readers can follow easily. This will be a concept that is very important in primary grades because writing can be sporadic when new ideas come into the child’s mind. I encourage them to write as they think, but this can cause problems when the story has no pattern. It is important for the reader to be able to understand the story, as well as be able to try to predict what they believe might happen later in the story. This will give the story credibility and validation. In first or second grade, this might be a tricky concept to understand so we will talk a lot about it and I will give them plenty of examples.
How to Teach It:
I will start the lesson by asking the students what they think is important when they are reading a story, the students can be sitting on the floor so that we are all close together and in a sharing environment. If no one brings up the idea about patterns and rhythm, I will hint at it by explaining that it is imperative for the story to not “jump around” and loose the reader’s attention. I will read a short story that I have created that has no rhythm or easy to follow story lines. I will create a lot of main topics and a lot of sub topics and when I have completed reading the story, I will ask them to tell me what the main idea of the story was. When the students all respond with many different answers, this will show them that my story lacked a pattern and a rhythm that was easy to follow. I will also stop in the middle of my story and ask the students to predict what is going to happen next. I will discuss this aspect upon completing my story as well. We will talk a lot about why rhythm and flow are important in stories and why they are so meaningful. After our discussion, we will read, The Napping House. As we get further in the story, I will become silent on the repetitive sentences and have the children say that part aloud together. After the story, I want the students to write their own story with an obvious pattern so that I can ensure that they have acquired this aspect of writing correctly.

0 comments: